Skip to Questions

Ask Us - Ask a Question, Search for Information, Explore the Universe & Beyond.

Useful Tip: Ask questions or search by keyword, e.g., anthropology database

How can veterans receive their military records?

Last Updated: Sep 26, 2017  |  1 Views
Topics: Research

Was this helpful? 0   0


Veterans may request their records online, or by mail or fax.  (If requesting records online, a written signature by mail or fax is still required.)  Next of kin may request the records of a deceased veteran.  The Standard Form 180, Request Pertaining to Military Records, is available for downloading, or veterans may simply write a letter requesting their records, to be mailed to the National Personnel Records Center, Military Personnel Records, 1 Archives Dr., St. Louis, MO 63138.  The fax number for submitting SF 180 is (314) 801-9195.

Requests should include the veteran's complete name used while in service, service number, social security number, branch of service, dates of service, and date and place of birth.  Next of kin must provide proof of death of a deceased veteran in the form of a copy of the death certificate, a letter from a funeral home, or a published obituary.

Answered by BLBookmark and Share

Other Answers / Comments (0)

    More ways to contact us

    Browse by Popular Topics

    Books, Movies & Music  –  Catalog  –  Children's Services  –  Classes & Events  –  Computers  –  Contact Us  –  Donations & Volunteering  –  Downloadables  –  Jobs  –  Library Facilities  –  My Account  –  Obituaries  –  OverDrive  –  Print, Fax and Scan  –  Request a Purchase  –  Research  –  Services  –  Trivia  
    View All Topics

    Live Chat

    Need help now? Ask your librarian.