Answered By: B L
Last Updated: Oct 11, 2017     Views: 55

Eau Claire, which is French for "clear water," most probably was named for a spring located about where Johnson Avenue and Main Street intersect today.  Eau Claire was incorporated as a town in 1899 and was later annexed to the city of Columbia.

Source: Claude Henry Neuffer, Names in South Carolina.