Answered By: B L
Last Updated: Oct 11, 2017     Views: 19

Veterans may request their records online, or by mail or fax.  (If requesting records online, a written signature by mail or fax is still required.)  Next of kin may request the records of a deceased veteran.  The Standard Form 180, Request Pertaining to Military Records, is available for downloading, or veterans may simply write a letter requesting their records, to be mailed to the National Personnel Records Center, Military Personnel Records, 1 Archives Dr., St. Louis, MO 63138.  The fax number for submitting SF 180 is (314) 801-9195.

Requests should include the veteran's complete name used while in service, service number, social security number, branch of service, dates of service, and date and place of birth.  Next of kin must provide proof of death of a deceased veteran in the form of a copy of the death certificate, a letter from a funeral home, or a published obituary.